Thursday, July 11, 2013

SHORT STORIES


Runawayz

Everyone was present and they were heading right towards me with Pap hugging two ladies chortling, while Judge Tatcher (as pensive as always) kept looking on quite helplessly. Well, Tom Sawyer was fidgeting and moving all around the place. “What did they want?” I  wondered.

I got alarmed. I thought of running, but as they came closer, I understood what was happening. It was all because of Pap and unfortunately he was drunk. When they got nearer to me, they all stood with grim faces gawking at me.

It made me feel embarrassed and scared, but later on when they went in to discuss what to do with me, I stayed with Tom and told him all about my plan and Jackson’s Island.He was so excited but he then said, “If I leave with thee, how will I exist without Emily; the girl of my dreams?” Consequently, he decided not to go but he still helped me with all the things I needed to survive in case I end up leaving. It was a very nice thing he did. Very remarkable.

The night of my dreams has landed from heaven. It was the escape to Jackson’s Island. I said my goodbyes to all who knew and then a strange feeling struck me out of the blue.I thought to myself, “If I left forever, who would be yonder to help him? Who will be there for him especially when he finds himself wallowing in his tipsy state?”  

When he is overtaken with whisky, he clashes and crushes; he stumbles and tumbles; he squeals like a dying rat and sometimes sings in disharmony to soothe his pitiful self. I decided to stay. It was a hard choice, but families come first.

Pap was the only person that made me think that I had someone pushing me to become a strong child because, in him, I saw the displeasing effects of social injustice . At least, he doesn’t lose his sense of pride when he becomes soaked in the pool of strong wine. That was the only thing I liked about him – yes, the only thing I liked about my father.                                     
WRITTEN BY: RAMA EL HASSAN  (Al-Rayaan International School, Year 6 - 2012/2013) 

2 comments:

Steve Finnell said...

You are invited to follow my Christian blog

Unknown said...

Thanks for the invitation but I would that your comments relate to the publications you find on my blog, so as to know how I could improve the content in the future.